This project is read-only.

Base64 Encoded UserData

Dec 3, 2012 at 4:27 AM

The Java AWS SDK expects all userdata to be Base64 encoded. It doesn't look like Base64 userdata is handled by CloudInit.NET. Does it actually handle Base64 and I just missed it or is there an existing extension we can use?

Dec 3, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I've never had to base64 encode the user data not sure why the Java AWS SDK expects userdata to be base64 encoded. The scripts I have aren't base64 encoded and they work fine with the python api, .net and the command line tools. That being said, it wouldn't be too hard to add a setting to CloudInit.NET that allows you to read base64 encoded files.

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Unfortunately, the Java AWS SDK api throws an exception if the userdata is not base64 encoded. It is not a problem for our linux instances as the linux CloudInit detects base64 automatically. I can probably add the functionality to CloudInit.NET but I was hoping someone had already solved the problem as I am primarily a Java developer now and I'm extremely time limited as well. If I was to add the functionality myself I assume the latest version of Visual Studio would be appropriate to use?

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:41 PM

I'll take a look at it tomorrow, if its as easy as I think it is I should be able to make it work easily. I'll let you know if i'm able to fix it or not.

Dec 4, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Brilliant, I appreciate you taking the time.

Dec 4, 2012 at 9:10 PM

I made some modifications to allow you to add a registry setting that will base64 decode the contents of the user-data file before attempting to execute it. Could you provide me an example file so that I can test it before submitting it to the repository?

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:49 PM

The following powershell script

#! /powershell/ 

Write-Output "**** Base64 Decode for CloudInit.NET worked ****" | Out-File "c:\PowershellLog.txt"

converts to the following base64 data

IyEgL3Bvd2Vyc2hlbGwvDQoNCldyaXRlLU91dHB1dCAiKioqKiBCYXNlNjQgRGVjb2RlIGZvciBD
bG91ZEluaXQuTkVUIHdvcmtlZCAqKioqIiB8IE91dC1GaWxlICJjOlxQb3dlcnNoZWxsTG9nLnR4
dCINCg==

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Thanks again for your time

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:24 PM
Edited Dec 5, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Checked in the changes to source control. You can get the binaries here http://cloudinitnet.codeplex.com/releases/view/98743

Hope this helps, let me know if for some reason it doesn't work for you

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:33 PM

You also need to run the command

reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\CloudInit\Settings /v IsBase64Encoded /t REG_DWORD /d 1 

Which will add the required setting in the registry 

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:48 PM

I can see the source code changes but the url for the binaries doesn't work...

Dec 6, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Sorry codeplex is really wierd apparently it has that link private only.

I move the whole project to github since codeplex isn't that great. Here's the new link for the binaries.

https://github.com/downloads/bwight/CloudInit.NET/CloudInit.NET_v1.3_Binaries_Base64Encode.zip